Tips on getting the best Spray Tan
Before Your Tan
- Exfoliate, exfoliate, and exfoliate! This is the most important tip if you want a flawless, even tan. Make sure you exfoliate in the few days leading up to the tan. Focusing particularly on the knees and elbow area.
- Avoid using bar soaps, high pH Shower products, or in-shower moisturisers. These products can neutralize the DHA bronzing reaction within the skin. DO NOT USE supermarket brands whist it might seem ok, many have ingredients that will affect your tan.
- Shave or wax the day before.
- Don't apply deodorant if possible before your spray tan. "Because deodorant is an aluminium-based product, you may notice that your armpits have a green hue after tanning" says Jungmann. "This happens when the aluminium in the deodorant reacts with the sunless solution. It's best to arrive with clean, fresh skin so that there are no barriers for the application".
- Apply a body butter to areas that are prone to grab more solution like knees, backs of ankles, elbows and definitely your hands and feet. I say body butter rather than lotion because it creates more of a barrier.
- No moisturizer, come to your appointment with clean dry skin and no deodorant on.
- Bring some loose clothes to wear after your tan.
Post Tan Routine
- Wait the recommended time before washing (if it says two hours, wait two hours).
- Shower using lukewarm water just a rinse. (Don't have a hot shower as this can make the tan come off unevenly).
- Pat yourself dry.
- Apply moisturiser daily to length the life of tan.
- Don't exercise, bathe or swim sooner than 8 hours after your spray tan. It will result in streaks.
- Don't mistake a sunless tan for sunscreen. There is no UV protection in sunless tanning solution.
- Don't wear light-colored clothing or your prettiest lingerie. The self-tanning solution can stain your clothing, so choose loose, dark clothing instead.
- Don't hang out in a chlorinated pool or hot tub. You'll exfoliate that tan right away!